Re: metadynamics/ABF simulations using collective variables - issues with restarting the calculations

From: Marimuthu Krishnan (marimuthu.krishnan_at_googlemail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2012 - 13:47:41 CST

Aron,

I do not use NAMD benchmarking to evaluate the performance. I simply use
the trajectory length obtained in 24 hours as a measure of performance.

The *.colvars.state files are > 10 MB and in some cases it is even greater
than 20 MB. The "usegrids" option is ON by default. I use default values
for 'hillwidth' and 'hillweight'. Although one could vary 'hillwidth' and
'hillweight' to achieve better performance/accuracy, it is not clear to me
why restart runs perform poor than new runs for same values of 'hillwidth'
and 'hillweight'. Do you have some suggestions for me to improve the
performance of restart runs at this point?

You are correct. I see a massive list of hills at the bottom of the
*.colvars.state file.

By the way, I am not sure whether to keep 'rebinGrids' ON or OFF for
restart runs. I have kept it 'OFF' (default value). Does it play any role
in the performance?

best,
Krishnan