Benefits of SandyBridge EP in NAMD2.9

From: Florian Mrugalla (florian.mrugalla_at_uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2012 - 06:52:19 CDT

Dear NAMD mailing list subscribers,

Lately I thought wether NAMD2.9 benefits from the new
avx instruction set present in the SandyBridge EP processors.
If there is a benefit how large would you estimate the effect?

Is one of the precompiled versions capable of using the avx instruction set
or do I have to compile it from scratch?
If I have to compile it for onself are there any suggestions on how to
gain the most benefits from avx?

According to the link beneath for arithmetic heavy processes there should
be a substantial speedup.
http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-05-08/chips_on_the_table:_sandy_bridge_versus_westmere.html

Thanks in advance and Best Regards,
Florian