Re: Re: Concerning Restarting Multiple Walkers MetaDynamics

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2012 - 16:30:26 CDT

Hi Aron, if you're in doubt, have a look at the .txt files that are
generated, it should clarify which state files are the most recent.

Each replica/walker should be restarted *from its own most recent state file
*, with no exceptions. Just keep running each one as a regular NAMD
simulation, they will communicate with one other on their own.

In any case, if you have e.g. replicaID = "R001" in the configuration file
of one replica/walker, and you feed to it the state file from the walker
"R002" it should give you an error. So you should see for yourself which
one is the right way :-)

If one walker has been offline for a long time (e.g. because it crashed and
you're now restarting it), there will be of course a sudden jump in its
PMF, because at that moment it reads all the hills that the other walkers
have been accumulating in the meantime. So it makes no sense to compare
the PMFs before and after a restart, if one replica/walker has been
off-sync for a while.

What makes sense instead is to compare the PMFs written by different
replicas/walkers within minutes from each other. Those should be
essentially the same: if they turned out wildly different, please send me
the details so that I can try to figure it out.

Bests
Giacomo