Re: Consistent temperature increase in CUDA runs

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2012 - 08:31:46 CST

Hi Norman,

Yeah I had temperature controlled for the whole run.

In doing a more thorough examination of the kinetic energies though, I've
come across something very odd. In my case I have ~2000 atoms from a
medium sized protein, and the rest (98,000) is solvent. I have rigid water
on, but have left the protein hydrogens non-rigid, and am using a 1fs
timestep, with langevin Hydrogen coupling off. What I see is that the
kinetic energy distribution of the non-rigid atoms matches my desired
temperature, but when I break it down into sub-systems, I find that the
temperature of all the protein atoms comes out ~20-25 K higher than the
solvent!!

That is a pretty extreme difference. I figured maybe it was because of I
decoupled the bath from the hydrogens, so I ran an extra 2 ns with it
coupled but saw no change in the crazy distribution of temperature. I'm
doing some more testing, and although it doesn't seem to relate entirely to
what you are seeing, it seems like a big problem. I'm also not certain if
it is GPU specific at this point.

~Aron

--
Aron Broom M.Sc