Re: gurukatagi@gmail.com

From: Marcos Sotomayor (sotomayo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2012 - 16:44:47 CST

Hi Gurunath

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Gurunath Katagi wrote:

> but when i simulate with those parameters, the calcium ions are flying (i.e
> are not at stable,), which is not desirable ...

Was your protein simulated in a water box? I've done multiple simulations
of proteins with bound calcium ions and never seen them flying away with
the standard CHARMM force-field (and a system that included a water box
surrounding the protein).

I've seen reports of flying calcium ions in simulations performed in
vacuum though. You may want to also keep the crystallographic water
molecules that are nicely coordinating the Calcium in your structure.

Regards,
Marcos.