Re: question about NPT

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2012 - 08:12:54 CST

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Boyang Wang <pkuwangboyang_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Axel,
>
> if you use the interactive MD, you will see that the system volume is

of course the volume changes. i didn't say that it does not.
*but* you are confusing cause and action. the NPT integrator
changes the volume to react to the pressure, it is not that the
pressure fluctuates because the volume is changing like you
are implying. the pressure *always* fluctuates, regardless of
whether you keep the volume of your cell constant or not.
and the pressure fluctuations are large because water (and
most dense liquids) are not very compressible. the volume
changes are small in comparison. since we are doing simulations
in finite size boxes with periodic boundary conditions, we have
a finite size effect on top of that. the pressure fluctuations are
caused by local density fluctuations (atoms bumping into each
other) and thus the larger your system, the smaller the fluctuations
of the total pressure due to averaging over (uncorrelated) local
fluctuations. it is the same with temperature (i.e. kinetic energy),
only that the fluctuations are (relatively) much smaller.

> changing. The NPT ensemble only fixes pressure, but not the volume.

actually, NPT does not "fix" the pressure. it adjusts the
volume to according to the sign and magnitude of the pressure.

you get a "constant" pressure only for a system in equilibrium
and by averaging over a longer time.

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer