Re: membrane simulation at high Temp

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 19:01:07 CDT

I need to briefly clarify: the V of the replicas should be approximately
equivalent. The T varies, as dictated by each given replica.

Best,
Chris

On Friday, November 4, 2011, Chris Harrison <charris5_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Temperature based REMD requires an NVT ensemble, which imposes a constant
volume. Just make sure you're running in an NVT ensemble as per your NAMD
configuration, ie, constant temp and volume.

> Best,
> Chris
>
> On Friday, November 4, 2011, Jiao, Dian NMN (-EXP) <dnjiao_at_sandia.gov>
wrote:
>> The equilibrated system at 600k would probably have a much larger volume
than 300k. Ultimately, I will run REMD at different temperatures. In order
to make the replica exchange, the two neighboring simulations should have
the same volume. Is that right? Or in REMD, I should fix the size of the
water box regardless of the system temperature?
>> From: Giacomo Fiorin <giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 17:56:12 -0400
>> To: Dian Jiao <dnjiao_at_sandia.gov>
>> Cc: "namd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu" <namd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu>
>> Subject: Re: namd-l: membrane simulation at high Temp
>>
>> Perhaps constant volume?
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Jiao, Dian NMN (-EXP) <dnjiao_at_sandia.gov>
wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>> I was trying to run simulations for an ion channel embedded in a lipid
bilayer. With constant area restraint, I was able to run 10-ns MD
simulation for the system at 300k without any problem. However at high
temperature (600k), the waters and lipids start to expand in both
directions of Z-axis. If I turn on the surfacetension, they would expand in
X and Y directions instead. Since NAMD does not allow to have both constant
area and surface tension at the same time, I wonder if there is a way to
exert forces in X, Y and Z directions to hold the system together.
>>> Thanks.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.