Re: Restarting protein system simulation using different ligand

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2011 - 18:41:55 CDT

Kevin,

You're likely experiencing high energy interactions between the binding
site atoms and your new ligand as the binding site has not had the
opportunity to sufficiently relax it's conformation such that the bound
complex is a favorable energetic state. The result of these high energy
interactions will be high forces which will become very high velocities
with which your atoms will "shoot" across your cell (maybe not the atoms
of your ligand but others such as those of the protein or water).
You've essentially instantly boiled your protein from the inside.

One solution may be to restrain the atoms of your protein and ligand and
then in a series of simulations, release in a step-wise fashion the
restraints. A simple example would be to initially release the
restraints on the ligand only and hope it remains within the binding
site and relaxes to accomodate it, then subsequently release the
restraints on the sidechain atoms, allowing them to relax around the
ligand while keeping the backbone atoms fixed to maintain overall
protein structure, and finally release all restraints.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 773-570-0329