Re: GBIS and hydrophobic solvation

From: David Tanner (dtanner_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 13:40:32 CDT

NAMD Implicit Solvent users,

Though NAMD's implementation of implicit solvent does not currently include
a SASA-proportional hydrophobic energy term, I believe one will be available
early 2012.

As for the questions "What can be accurately modeled with an implicit
solvent which screens electrostatics but doesn't account for the non-polar
effect of solvent?" - this is an excellent question for which I don't have a
good answer. Once the hydrophobic energy term is available in NAMD, I will
explore what effect it has on protein structure.

Thank you,
David E. Tanner

David E. Tanner
3159 Beckman Institute