Re: A question on Jarkynski equation

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 09:09:13 CDT

Yi, thanks for your remark. This emphasizes one point that I should
have mentioned: the "rare event" problem is highly dependent on
pulling speed. At slow speeds in a low-viscosity solvent like water,
friction is small or comparable to Brownian forces, so-called 'second
law violations' become fairly frequent and the exponential estimator
can converge. Similarly, in a FEP calculation between very similar
states, convergence is much improved (hence the use of staged
transformations).

Cheers,
Jerome