Re: AMD-PhenomII-1075_GTX470 NAMD-CUDA performance

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2011 - 06:29:38 CDT

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Norman Geist
<norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de> wrote:
> Dear Axel,
>
> What I tried to say was that one thing is of course the bandwidth of the
> pcie bus. But what's about the utilization of the gpu? If I have a
> configuration of oversubscription that would still allow communication
> between cpu and gpu due to enough pcie bandwidth, that wouldn't help me if
> my gpu is already fully utilized. And that’s what I tried to say. I ran a
> 1,3 million atoms system on a tesla C2050, shared by 6 cpu cores, the
> utilization of the gpu is about 20 percent. I haven't worked with the

i wouldn't be surprised to see such a low utilization since
most of the time is probably spent on moving data in and
out of the GPU. a 6x oversubscription is pretty extreme.
the main benefit is probably in the non-GPU accelerated parts
(which is still a significant amount of work for such a large system).

have you made a systematic test in running different number
of host processes?

please note that high-end GeForce cards can have as many
or even more (GTX 580!) cores than a C2050.

the huge difference in cost between the Tesla and the GeForce
does not automatically translate into different performance for
a code that doesn't benefit from the features of the Tesla
(4x double precision units, more memory, ECC memory,
more reliability). in fact, turning on the ECC of the Tesla may
even slow it down.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer