infrequent rattle failure with charmm36

From: Edward Lyman (edward.lyman_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2011 - 08:47:59 CDT

Hi all,

I am simulating a bilayer with the charmm36 parameters, which was
extensively minimized, heated, and relaxed. I find the simulation always
crashes due to a rattle failure, typically between 4M and 8M timesteps.
Nothing special in the cfg file except for the use of force-based switching,
as required by the charmm36 parameterization. (details of the cfg below) I
am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

The only other thing that is out of the ordinary is that I am running the
simulation on 176 procs, since that is what I have available. I plan to test
and see if it is stable on a more normal partition, like 128, but a careful
reading of the fft cfg section suggests 176 should be ok in NAMD.

Any insights appreciated. The error and cfg below.

Thx,
Ed

log file end:
WRITING EXTENDED SYSTEM TO RESTART FILE AT STEP 20051000
WRITING COORDINATES TO DCD FILE AT STEP 20051000
WRITING COORDINATES TO RESTART FILE AT STEP 20051000
FINISHED WRITING RESTART COORDINATES
ERROR: Constraint failure in RATTLE algorithm for atom 15602!
ERROR: Constraint failure; simulation has become unstable.
ERROR: Exiting prematurely; see error messages above.

WallClock: 68395.648438 CPUTime: 66929.414062 Memory: 244.082031 MB

The relevant cfg sections:

#******************************run parameters*****************************
# number of steps set in FEP section
firsttimestep 13800000