Re: Help building a desktop for namd

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 17:22:03 CDT

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Gianluca Interlandi
<gianluca_at_u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hi Salvador,
>
> Just a thought:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105793&cm_re=opteron-_-59-105-793-_-Product
>
> An example of a 4x 12-core opteron node.
>
> So far, I have not been able to find a "classic" PC built with 4x 12-core

does it matter? you'd want to use this as a compute engine anyway and
just stash it in some quiet(?) corner somewhere. you can do that with almost
any hardware.

if you're on the budget side, you may want to go with a vendor offering you
more options. this web page allows you to build custom configurations (e.g.
you can see how much more cost efficient the 8-core vs. 12-core cpus are).

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i27727/1U-quad-opteron.php
http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i27733/2u-quad-opteron-sas-server.php

axel.

> opteron. Does it exist? I was able to find a motherboard which supports a 4x
> 12-core:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151219
>
> but can you mount it in a tower case?
>
> Gianluca
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Salvador H-V wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks a lot to all of you people who share their experience with me.
>>
>> I found your comments and ideas very useful!
>>
>> I think we have a very good starting point. Of course, I will be checking
>> the mail
>> list for new ideas.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Salvador Herrera Velarde

> Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
>                    +1 (206) 685 4435
>                    http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/
>
> Postdoc at the Department of Bioengineering
> at the University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer