Re: Setting up aMD simulation of a membrane protein

From: Jeff Wereszczynski (jmweresz_at_mccammon.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 11:00:23 CDT

Hi Raúl,

My two cents would be to try simulations of both the dihedral and dual
boost options and see how your system behaves.

I see your concern about boosting the dihedrals in the lipid, but I
don't think this is a bad thing, and I wouldn't worry about
restraining the lipid positions. If you have a solvated protein, one
of the advantages of dual-boost (relative to just dihedral aMD) is
that the diffusivity of the water increases, so the protein has an
easier time moving through the solvent. Analogously, if you boost the
dihedrals in the lipid environment that your protein is surrounded by
you may find that protein motions are enhanced since its easier to
push the lipids around. By contrast, if you did restrain the lipid
positions what you might find is that you are "freezing" the
environment around the protein and you could end up preventing the
protein motions you are hoping to see.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

--