Re: implementing RBCG

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 21:25:54 CDT

Michael,

A first version of Martini is available in the CVS version of NAMD.
The commands are in the userguide available in the CVS, but I'm
copying the Martini section below. Let us know if you have any
problems.

Best,
Chris

5.4 MARTINI Residue-Based Coarse-Grain Forcefield
The MARTINI forcefield for residue-based coarse-grain models allows
simulation of several tens
of atoms as only several large coarse-grained particles [41, 42, 44].
In the MARTINI model, each
protein residue is represented by a backbone bead and usually one or
more sidechain beads.
When preparing MARTINI simulations it is important to include only
those dihedrals specified
by the forcefield. Using the “auto dihedrals” or “regenerate dihedrals”
feature of psfgen will create
dihedrals for all possible sets of four bonded atoms. This is
incorrect for MARTINI and will result
in energy jumps because the dihedral potential function is degenerate
for the angles of 180 degrees
allowed by cosine-based angles.

When using MARTINI the following configuration parameters should be set
as indicated:

cosAngles on
martiniSwitching on
dielectric 15.0
PME off

• cosAngles < enable the MARTINI cosine-based angle potential function >
Acceptable Values: on or off
Default Value: off
used, specifically
cosine-based angle potential function. The cosine-based potential will
only be used for angles
in CHARMM parameter files that specify the cos keyword.

• martiniSwitching < enable the MARTINI Lennard-Jones switching function? >
Acceptable Values: on or off
used, specifically
the Lennard-Jones switching function.

• martiniDielAllow < Allow dielectrics != 15.0 for use with MARTINI >
Acceptable Values: on or off
15.0, ie a non-standard
dielectric for MARTINI.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733