Re: Accelerated MD documentation?

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2011 - 00:15:15 CDT

Dear Francesco,

The present accelerated MD in NAMD is Hamelberg-McCammon. The paper
you cited, I'll call it Hamelberg2011, describes the problem of
Hamelberg-McCammon to accurately reproduce the transition states (TS)
of the underlying "true" potential surface when the cutoff energy is
very large - cutoff energies, that as I interpreted, are larger than
the energies of the transition states/barrier regions. Hamelberg2011
goes on to demonstrate that accurate TS rates are obtained
with multiple accelerated MD simulations using different water models and
different values of alpha (at a constant E cutoff). Then using Kramer's
rate theory with the different alpha values and curvatures of the well
and barrier regions from unweighted free energy profiles, the accurate
transition rate/kinetics can be calculated for the barrier regions.
Noticing the diffusion coefficents didn't change significantly between
the water models, it was suggested that, instead of a series, one could
do a single accelerated MD and calculate the apparent diffusion
coefficient. Then plugging the diffusion coefficent, the curvatures of
the well and barrier, and the barrier height into Kramer's rate equation
yields kinetic values very similar to those obtained from the above
mentioned series of accelerated MD simulations. So Hamelberg2011 seems
more an approach to performing your accelerated MD and
post-processing with Kramer's theory (as proposed in J Chem Phys 132
224101) to tease out accurate kintetics from accelerated MD runs that
don't accurately characterize barrier regions.

And here's hoping I didn't mangle Donald Hamelberg's method in my
explanation. Does this help explain the relevance of the 2011 paper
from Hamelberg and coworkers to the current accelerated MD
implementation in NAMD?

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733