Re: Get number of timesteps from DCD via script

From: Joshua D. Moore (joshuadmoore_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 08:40:27 CST

This was not your original question.

"1) overall number of coordinate sets (timesteps)
2) write out frequency (dcdfreq)
3) first time step in dcd
4) last time step in dcd"

You asked to read the number of timesteps, first timestep, etc.

I was happy to give you a small code to read the header, but I'm not going
to spend a day to learn python to answer your question. That's your job.
You have two examples, mine, and the one from Andrew in Fortran if you'd
like to figure it out. There are many unformatted formats which read
different streams of data (binary vs unformatted, etc.) which as Axel
pointed out sometimes mean different things on different machines.

What is your dcd file name?
/home/blub/work/bdvm/namd/
membrane30_400-bdvm-rna-smd/run002/memb30_run400-
bdvm-rna_npgt.dcd

You can't put in this big long path. Execute the code from the directory
where the *dcd file is and retype "memb30_run400-bdvm-rna_npgt.dcd"

Andrew has shown you in Fortran from his previous email how to access the
PBCs and the coordinates, but you did not ask this question in your email.

Best.

Josh