Re: Equilibration when splitting an ABF calculation

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 06:44:32 CST

Dear Ajasja,

Usually, the colvar spends a small amount of time in the "wall"
region, hence, only a few samples are missing from the ABF grid. Note
that you could define the colvar boundaries to be _wider_ than the
interval between the walls: then samples would be collected throughout
the simulation. In principle, samples from the wall region are
statistically valid for ABF purposes (as long as the colvars are
mutually orthogonal). The tradition is for the walls and grid
boundaries to coincide, but there are no strong rational grounds to
this.

Cheers,
Jerome