Re: Using ABF to explore the conformational space of a spin label attached to a membrane protein

From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 09:56:28 CST

Dear Jérôme,

I have mediated upon your advice:
>The ideal situation would be for you to find a 2 or 3D space that might be
>a good enough descriptor. For a flexible chain, I would start with
>some RMSD and radius of gyration.
And I think I have found two or three colvars that would be the most
relevant.

Those would be the polar coordinates (theta, phi, r) of the Ca-O1
vector. (Where O1 is the last atom in the side-chain of my spin-label).
Expresing the theta angle as a colvar is not a problem using the angle
component, (and the radius is trivial as well).
But I'm having trouble expressing the phi angle as a colvar. The phi angle
is the angle between the projection of the vector in the plane and
a reference vector.

Perhaps this could be done using "orientation" or "DistanceDir" (but then I
can not use the grids in metadynamics).
Currently I'm using the projection of the Ca-O1 vector on the phi-refrence
axis, but I would really like to have uniform sampling along phi and not
along cos(phi)*r.

I am aware that using these components can only be used with metadynamics.
Don't these components (for example angle)
fulfill the conditions of colvars for use in ABF? Is it just
the availability of system forces or some orthogonality reason?

I could also just sample along all three projections of the vector and
convert this to polar coordinates...

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you & best regards,
Ajasja

PS: I have noticed that the tilt and spinAngle components are not documented
in the NAMD user guide
2.7<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.7/ug/node49.html#SECTION000122100000000000000>.(they
are just listed as available without a detailed explanation).