RE: Free-energy perturbation in NAMD: Evaluation of electrostatic and van der Waals terms

From: Christian Jorgensen (christian.jorgensen_at_merton.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2010 - 09:42:22 CST

Hi again,
thanks,
I have found a possible answer in Pohorille, A., Jarzynski, C., Chipot, C., Good Practices in Free-Energy Calculations, J. Phys. Chem. B, Vol. 114, No. 32, 10235-10253 2010 (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp102971x)

On page 10249:
Under certain circumstances, concomitant scaling of Coulomb and van der Waals interactions may lead to a situation in which the energy and forces are dominated by the former interactions before the repulsive component of the latter is large enough to avoid spurrious collisions of the constituent atoms. This shortcoming can be circumvented by decoupling electrostatic and van der Waals interactions. It is possible to scale Coulomb interactions with a sufficient delay to avoid scenarios in which Lennard-Jones repulsion is overwhelmed by electrostatic forces. Alternatively, the Coulomb potential can be modified in the spirit of eqs. 64 and 65 [for van der Waals interactions, edit] replacing the interatomic distance rij with a related soft-core term (αλ^2 + rij^2)^1/2

My question: Would this be the way that NAMD treats the relationship between the van der Waals and electrostatic terms?

Thanks so much
christian