Re: Changing functions without recompiling

From: Nicholas Musolino (musolino_at_mit.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 20:20:58 CDT

Alex K. has provided some super-helpful information, as always, about using tabulated potential functions.

I just wanted to check in and ask, are you sure that you (and your professor) are on the same page about what it takes to recompile NAMD? It's possible he's used to bigger (more complicated) software projects that spend a very long while for compile time.

I have found that compiling NAMD take a couple of minutes after a "make clean," and only half a minute (or less) after modifying one or two source files. This is with serial compiling, not with multiple CPUs.

The GNU make utility, which NAMD uses, will recompile only the changed source code (to make one .o object file for each .C source file) and then link all of the relevant files.

Anyways, Axel's response is probably better if you want to record a version of the potential you're using for each simulation, and there will be 1 "special" potential for each simulation. But if you want to include new terms and then run many simulations, recompiling shouldn't present any special barriers.

Hope this helps!

Nicholas

PS. I think it's awesome you're able to manage small cluster as a high school student... we're a group of half a dozen computational scientists/engineers and we're still trying to figure that out.

Nicholas Musolino
Ph.D. candidate, Department of Chemical Engineering, MIT
musolino_at_mit.edu | 617-253-6675 | Room E19-528