Re: Restraint on XY Plane

From: Peixi Zhu (tulanezhu_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 11:24:26 CDT

Thanks, Giacomo

Does the following script look right:

#begin my colvars input
Colvarstrajfrequency 100
Colvarsrestartfrequency 50

colvar {
   name ProjectionZ

   distanceZ {
      ref {
         dummyAtom ( 21.657, 24.506, 46.027 )
      }
      main {
         atomNumbersRange { 21966-21996 }
      }

colvar {
   name ProjectionXY

   distanceXY {
      ref {
         dummyAtom ( # Here I will put a different coordinate XYZ # )
      }
      main {
         atomNumbersRange { 21966-21996 }
      }
   }
}

harmonic {
  colvars ProjectionZ ProjectionXY
  centers 24
  forceConstant 5.0
}

#end of colvars input

I would also like to ask a few more questions:

1. Since I'm only interested in PMF along z coordinate. Will the distanceXY
colvar block by any chance create problem of sampling along z? From what I
understand it shouldn't, but I just want to make sure.

2. Will the distanceXY block hurt computation performance? If the answer is
yes, any idea how much longer it will take for real cluster run time?

3. I read from NAMD manual that the forceConstant divided by sqaure of width
is the real force constant which goes to WHAM. Since I don't have width
defined here, what will my real force constant be?

4. What will my *.colvars.traj output look like? I know that without the
distanceXY block it has only two columns, which are simulation step and
distance. I image that there might be four columns in this case. Then
should I just discard the columns that correspond to distanceXY before I use
WHAM?

Thanks,

--Peixi