Re: ABF: moving system in Z direction

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_temple.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2010 - 12:16:08 CDT

Hi Sefer

1. and 2. Movements in all directions (x, y and z) won't be a problem,
because the distanceZ component is calculated with PBC taken into account.
Just make sure you didn't specify 'wrapAll' in the case of a multimeric
channel. We wrote this in the user guide, but it doesn't hurt to remind it.

3. The theoretical range goes from -l_z/2 to l_z/2, unless you put in some
walls to confine the ammonium. If you haven't seen negative values yet, it
may be simply that you haven't sampled that region yet, but that you will
later in the simulation. But, if the minimum value is *exactly* zero, there
is something strange going on. What are your lowerBoundary and
upperBoundary? They should be a negative number and a positive number, for
distanceZ.

4. I believe it's correct. SHAKE forces that constrain the bond length do
affect the forces that ABF is sampling. But this contribution will cancel
out if you also include all the other atoms that are involved in the
constraint, *and* provided that what enters the definition of the colvar is
the position of the center of mass (in this case, of the ammonium). All the
distance-like components do make use of the center of mass only.

Giacomo

---- ----
Giacomo Fiorin
  ICMS - Institute for Computational Molecular Science
    Temple University
    1900 N 12 th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
mail: giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com
---- ----