Re: Periodic cell has become too small for original patch grid!

From: Jeff Wereszczynski (jmweresz_at_mccammon.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2010 - 17:05:50 CDT

I have a different approach to fixing this problem. I believe that the
underlying cause of this error is that the system is resizing too quickly
(due to the system pressure being far from the specified pressure). To slow
the resizing down I increase langevinPistonPeriod to 1000 and
langevinPistonDecay to 500 for a short time when I start the NPT simulation,
and then switch to the normal values of 100 and 50.

For example, in your case I would do one input file for 100 ps with a
constraintscaling of 10, langevinPistonPeriod of 1000, and a
langevinPistonDecay of 500. Then I would load the restart files into a new
simulation and proceed as you were above. Also, by restarting the
simulation you are forcing NAMD to re-assign the patches, which will help
prevent this error.

Hope this helps,
Jeff