Re:

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 23:58:40 CDT

Daniel,

The script initially minimizes the system (the first phase of movement).
The script then begins MD; however constraints are turned on, presumably
with perhaps too strong a force constant for your system which explains the
second phase lacking movement. During this phase the loop heats the system
from it's minimized value of 0K to 300K in increments of 20K. The idea is
to gradually introduce thermal energy into the system instead of
instantaneously hopping from 0K to 300K. Whether or not the gradual or
instantaneous warming is the correct approach depends upon the specifics of
your system. However, if you are seeing no movement, I would ascribe it to
constraints with too strong a force constant. Following heating of the
system, the constrains are then scaled down to 0 in 4 steps, explaining the
reappearance of movement.

Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733