Re: CPU usage when exec function is used

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 15:31:16 CST

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM, daniel aguayo <bioquimico_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All

dear daniel,

>       We are trying to execute an external bash script between "run" stages
> (example below) with the exec tcl command. But when the exec process is
> executed the CPUs are on 100% usage with namd2 process.. then our script
> cant run well. Can someone give us a shortcut to stop namd for starving CPU
> or
> we just have to deal with this issue?

it is often quite problematic to call "exec" from within a parallel program.
particularly some implementations of MPI on top of infiniband or myrinet
seem to be affected by it.

i assume you are running namd from a batch shell script. if yes, why don't
you simply use 2 namd config files and launch namd twice and call
your shell script in between? that would sidestep this issue and is
- in my personal opinion - a cleaner way to do this to begin with.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology