Re: vmd-l: RMSD Question

From: Germain Salvato Vallverdu (germain.vallverdu_at_univ-pau.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2010 - 02:56:05 CST

Hello

Can you say exactly why do you calculate a RMSD ?

You have to keep in mind that when you minimize the crystal structure
you compute forces and energy with a force field which is an
approximation of the correct forces and energy. Thus the minimized
structure might be different than the crystal one.

RMSD are often used (in MD) in order to control if the equilibrium
structure you find with your force field is not too far away the cristal
structure. That give you some garanties that your MD (and the force
field) is not bad. Thus you should not minimize your crystal structure.
But, again, it depends on what you are looking for with your RMSD.

1.4 A is not too bad. You can also look at only the backbone RMSD or
only the backbone RMSD of secondary structure part of your protein. A
good value for that RMSD is around 1 A.

Germain