Re: 1us simulation of 80k atom system -- how much gross structure movement is expected?

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2010 - 18:52:20 CDT

Hi Ian,
It would be a lot easier to get a feel for what is going on if you a)
aligned the frames prior to making the movie, and b) colored the
structure by index to give an idea of where the different pieces are.
You should also try to figure out what structural changes are giving
rise to the RMSD changes; clustering analysis would be a good way to
start. My bet is that you're exploring two or more distinct
conformations separated by a low barrier, given that you return to sub-2
A RMSDs for awhile in the middle of the trajectory. Is the RMSD that you
report all-atom or only for the backbone?

Best,
Peter