GeForce vs. Tesla

From: Tian, Pu (NIH/NIDDK) [C] (tianpu_at_niddk.nih.gov)
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 10:01:13 CST

Hello NAMD users,

I am planning to build a GPU cluster of 4 or 8 nodes, each with 4 GPUs. The Tesla cards are very expensive compared to the GeForce series. I am not sure if the expanded memories would matter that much for MD simulations of systems with less than 100,000 atoms. The reliability is another consideration. So as long as the GeForce cards have reasonable reliability, I would want to wait for the consumer series (Ge3XX) of the "Fermi" architecture cards instead of Tesla C2050/70.

I would really appreciate it if anybody who has used GeForce2XX cards for a while could share their experiences! I assume that the coming GeForce3XX would similar reliability as GeForce2XX series. Additionally, is that possible to lower the clock rate of these cards a little bit to improve their reliability?

Best,

Pu