Re: temperature calculations from velocities in NAMD?

From: Sebastian Stolzenberg (s.stolzenberg_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 19:24:12 CST

Dear Axel,
>> I assume now that the SHAKE algorithm imposes restraints on all the IC
>> coordinates involving the particular hydrogen to be constrained.
>>

> that is not correct. you constrain what you define to constrain. typically,
> the water molecules completely and all other bonds involving hydrogens.
>
>> Then, what if I have a hydrogen attached to a backbone nitrogen? What about
>> hydrogens attached to carbons along the side chains?
>>

> very simple: each "shaken" bond or angle is equivalent to removing one
> DOF. so waters have 6 DOFs instead of 9. if you go to more complex
> constraints it can become very complicated.

Thank you, so I can calculate n_DOF for the water molecules now because
I know that two bonds and one angle are constrained for each water molecule.

However, for (non-water) heavy atom hydrogens, I cannot tell whether the
NAMD command "rigidBonds all" only constrains bonds, or also (which)
angles, etc., as is done for the waters.

I took a look at the NAMD source code, but "grep"ing the whole source
code folder for
"rigidBonds"
"RIGID_ALL"
"SHAKE"
did not yield anything about additional angle, dihedral,... constraints.

Also, the most current paper (2009) on CHARMM refers to SHAKE only in
terms of "fixing the relative positions of..."

Can I thus assume that "rigidBonds all" really only constrains bonds
(for hydrogens attached to non-water heavy atoms)? If no, what angles
does NAMD "rigidBonds all" constrain for the protein?

Thank you very much for your help,
Best,
Sebastian