Re: Fullerene topology

From: Luca Muccioli (luca_at_ms.fci.unibo.it)
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 15:31:38 CDT

dear Austin,

  if all the atoms are chemically equivalent (in other words, they have exactly
the same electronegativity) and the molecule is neutral, the partial charges
should be zero. Think at the N2 molecule as example, or at a united atom model
for benzene, or to an infinite graphene sheet.
If you want partial, fluctuating charges on such molecules you have to use
polarizable force fields.

for fullerene derivatives of course the situation is different, due to the
symmetry breaking.

ciao