Re: spontaneous system explosion after 2 ns of normal run

From: Roman Petrenko (rpetrenko_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 18 2009 - 22:59:08 CDT

Based on discussion here and analysis of the trajectory, i think the
following happens:
- extremely strong electric field distorts membrane by making it thicker
- that results in appearance of holes in membrane though which ions
travel with minimal resistance
- due to periodic boundary condition in z-direction ions accelerate
more with time and hit harder on the box walls that are perpendicular
to z-direction
- constant pressure control algorithm detects high pressure on those
walls and tries to expand simulation box

With ten times smaller electric fields membrane is not distorted.

Did anyone performed simulations of a simple water box with ions under
electric field? This might give insights on what maximum values of
electric field are safe to use.