My protein went out of the water box in SMD. Would it have a bad effect on the result?

From: wayj86 wayj86 (wayj86_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 03:02:46 CDT

Dear all,

I found it is difficult to make sure the protein keep in the water box
during the whole SMD process unless with a very big box. Now my protein went
out of the box with more than 10 residues and 14 angstrom off the water
boundary in the -Z direction. The distance between the "went-out" part and
the protein in the next cell was 13 angstrom. I have red the NAMD tutorial
but still want to ask you some questions:

(1) Althought the protein should be merged in the water box when imposing
periodic boundary conditions, was the "went_out" phenomenon completely
unacceptable?

(2) In my situation, would it have a bad effect on my result? Do I have to
redo the SMD again?

(3) Is there any literature about this phenomenon which explain it in
detailed?

Thank you in advance.

--
The future is now!