Re: 2.7b metadynamics ::hBond component :: folding of a single helix in water

From: Ali Emileh (ali.emileh_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 14:23:57 CDT

Hi Giacomo,

Thanks for all the comments and guidance.
I never saw a negative value of the colvars in the simulation, just the
boundaries in the
log file and it got me worried, but I think the core of the colvars module
is working
just fine and producing alpha values of the right sign.

I thought I can forget about the alpha component and use a combination of
dihedrals and
hBond/distances to fold the helix for now. I started with a simple config
like this :

=====================
colvarsTrajFrequency 1000

colvar {
    name hb
    outputAppliedForce on

    hBond {

    acceptor {
        atomNameResidueRange O 100-105
        psfSegID G
    }
    donor {
        atomNameResidueRange N 106-110
        psfSegID G
    }

    }
}

metadynamics {
    colvars hb
    hillWeight 0.04
    dumpFreeEnergyFile yes
}
=====================

I know it lacks boundaries. I just wanted to get the thing to work in steps.
But the problem
is I can't get it to recognize the colvar components. It gives me the erro :

colvars: Error: in parsing "acceptor".
colvars: If this error message is unclear, try recompile with
-DCOLVARS_DEBUG.
FATAL ERROR: Error in the collective variables module: exiting.

now when I change the component from hBond to coordnum and the atom groups
group1 and group2 (I can't get it to accept any group name other than these,
reports
that "Error: definition for atom group "group1" not found."), it goes
through the component
recognition and parsing (at least it seems to do so) and gets stuck in the
"colvars: Tried
to initialize a count grid on variable with undefined boundaries" error
message which can
be fixed by defining boundaries (I DOES go into the simulation). So all I
can conclude
here is that I'm missing something in the atom groups definition.

Any thoughts on this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ali