RE: peptides on surface

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 16:29:23 CDT

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 15:25 -0500, Brian R Novak wrote:
> Jorgen,
>
> You could do this if you don't want to use long range electrostatics
> or are willing to use a vary large space between slabs. NAMD does not
> have a 2D or corrected 3D Ewald method to be used with a slab

one alternative to consider, at least during the time of testing,
would be the LAMMPS code. when tested on idential (bio) systems
against NAMD 2.6 a couple years ago it was about a factor of two
slower, but it is much easier to set up slab systems and mix-and-match
potentials with it. once you figured out what is needed and how
your system should be set up, you can try to use NAMD again
and benefit from the better scaling and higher efficiency in your
production runs.

i'm currently working on a package in VMD that is supposed to make
manipulating and converting topologies between MD codes easier and
that should be able to help you in the process. for the specific
case NAMD to LAMMPS or vice versa, some parts are still missing,
but a good example case and a user willing to try something out,
are the most important ingredients to have something implemented. ;)

cheers,
   axel.