Re: namd-cuda-intel vs. namd-intel

From: Dow_Hurst (dhurst_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 11:19:48 CDT

Roman,
Axel is correct about the differences in Nvidia hardware. We just had a talk here at UNC-Greensboro by Dr. Lars Nyland, a senior architect in the compute group at Nvidia. He works in designing the computational circuitry that is on the Nvidia graphics cards. Nvidia provides this group a very small "acreage" on the chip area to add "computational" related circuits. It was a fascinating talk that brought out some points I wasn't aware of.

The newer hardware has what you want for computational routines to excel. Older hardware such as the 8000 series or older wouldn't have all the logic circuits that can speed up computations.

The design group get 5% of the graphics chip for computational related hardware so have to make good use of the "nanoacres"!

There is unique circuitry that implements an inverse square root since 80% of typical cpu time is spent on that type of operation. (The designers think in terms of how many ticks of a cpu or gpu clock does an operation require to complete)

The Tesla based C1060 and S1070 computational cards have ECC RAM instead of the the non-error correcting RAM found in the gaming cards. Long simulations might suffer from bit error, which doesn't matter in gaming routines but is critical in computational chemistry.

Best wishes,
Dow