Re: dummy atom mass changed

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 13:09:26 CDT

Ly,

Decouple controls the number of additional PME grids calculated during a
FEP.

1. How large is your water box and what is your cutoff?

2. How far is the ion from it's recipricol image? Off the cuff (ie wild
guess) I wonder if your ion is experiencing an interaction with its
recipricol image that's being scaled when decouple is off vs. not being
scaled when decouple is on.

C.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM, yun luo <luoyun724_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Could anybody explain me what the "decouple on" do in case of disappearing
> one ion in pure water ?
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM, yun luo <luoyun724_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christ,
>>
>> Thanks for your notice. According to the ug, "decouple" is dealing with
>> intramolecular interactions. Since I only disappear one ion, there is no
>> intramolecular interaction. So I think decouple on/off should give similar
>> result. However, I disappear one sodium ion in TIP3 box with:
>>
>> fepVdwLambdaEnd 1.0
>> fepElecLambdaStart 0.5
>> fepVdwShiftCoeff 5.0
>> decouple on/off
>>
>> I got dG=-73 kcal/mol with "decouple on" and dG=-89 kcal/mol with
>> "decouple off (default)". How do you think those value? Where does the
>> difference come from?
>>

>> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Chris Harrison <char_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Ly,
>>>
>>> The code has been changing very quickly in the last several months and
>>> the default values for your softcore parameters will depend on when you
>>> checked out the cvs or downloaded the beta.  I very strongly say this:  set
>>> the parameters yourself.  Until beta2, do not assume the softcore
>>> parameters' default values.  Until beta2, do not assume the softcore
>>> parameters' default values in the users guide are correct.  Because the code
>>> has been changing so rapidly, SET THE SOFTCORE PARAMETERS MANUALLY based on
>>> the below suggestion.
>>>
>>> The default values in the cvs are currently, and will be in NAMD2.7b2:
>>>
>>> fepVdwLambdaEnd = 1.0
>>> fepElecLambdaStart=0.5