Unfavorable anti conformation after GLUP patching?

From: Sebastian Stolzenberg (s.stolzenberg_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 19:13:21 CDT

Salut Sébastien,

thank you very much for your helpful comments.
> I would also like to talk about one particular problem with carboxylic acids
> in FEP. Because of the high energy barrier between syn and anti conformations
> of the carboxyl hydrogen, the protonated state gets stuck in the unfavorable,
> anti conformation, if the dummy hydrogen went to anti while unprotonated.

so for GLUP, the syn/anti conformations are defined through the dihedral
HE2-OE2-CD-CG, (syn=0-90degs,anti=90-180degs), right?

If yes, I see my protonated GLUP side chain in my FEP-residue E2EP
(=E2B) in the unfavorable anti conformation (=180degs.), right after
running VMD psfgen.

Your concern is also important for doing simple GLUP patches in a plain
MD run, right? I did some tests, and found that the GLUP patch leaves
the HE2-OE2-CD-CG dihedral in the unfavorable anti-conformation. I bet
even long equilibration runs will not fix this issue!

I this concern you mentioned noted somewhere in the topology documentations?

Thanks again,
Sebastian