Re: Jarzynski equality and the pull direction in SMD

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 03:09:54 CDT

Cesar,

To properly capture the free energy describing the conformational space of the binding event, the SMDs would need to include a very large statistical sample of both multiple initial configurations and multiple directions for the "binding vector"; however that assumes the real binding rxn coordinate is exactly linear which is not unreasonable but usually thought to be unlikely. I would strongly suggest that if all you want is the dG or dA of binding, that you pursue instead Alchemical methods like Free Energy Perturbation (FEP) or Thermodynamic Integration (TI) as implemented in NAMD 2.7b1. If however you are interested in the pathway of binding and the resulting PMF describing the free energy for a given binding trajectory, then SMD, Adaptive Biasing Force (ABF), and metadynamics would be methods to use .... but to properly describe the "free energy of the binding trajectory" these three methods will require *enormous* amounts of sampling in comparison to FEP or TI.

C.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733