Re: RAMD in NAMD

From: Vlad Cojocaru (Vlad.Cojocaru_at_eml-r.villa-bosch.de)
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 07:02:15 CDT

Hi Harish,

Well, thanks for your coming in here ... I will shortly answer your
points. First, I'd like to ignore your first phrase which sounds a bit
ironic. I hope I am wrong here and you did not mean it in this way.

a). Its exactly that what I meant, you cannot change parameters unless
you modify the script itself. As for typing the whole script in the
configuration file, its a matter of taste here, I personally like clean,
short, and re-usable configuration files . I did not say that people do
not have to learn tcl scripting. Of course they do ... But I think its
nice to have all parameters defined in the NAMD configuration file much
the way the ABF module works.

b). Our RAMD implementation in AMBER 8 does both pure RAMD and combined
RAMD-MD simulations. Combined RAMD-MD simulations mean that when your
ligand moved more than the threshold distance, you switch to pure MD
simulations and let the ligand relax in its new position. After MD you
have the choice to switch back to RAMD or continue with MD in function
of how much the ligand moved. This flavor of the method is not covered
in your script and our AMBER 8 implementation it was not tested very
much (no publication on this yet). But still, we believe that some of
the problems of pure RAMD can be solved by this approach. This is what I
meant by combined RAMD-MD simulations.

c). I agree here with you. Anybody can simply add an srand statement in
your script. I just pointed out that is not there in your original
script. And if somebody cannot reproduce results with the script, should
be aware of why they cannot. And I don't think that one should expect
that everybody who tries to apply these methods knows tcl a-priori. 5
years ago, I had no idea about programming, so I had no clue about
srand() or rand() functions in tcl. I learned it in the meantime, but
many people at the beginning of their studies might not know programming.

My goal was and it is to have at a point in time RAMD distributed with
NAMD and it can be your implementation, my implementation or somebody
else's. Its not important which implementation as long as it is robust
and can be easily used by other people. I simply believe that in its
current form, your script is not suitable for that. If you want to
proceed and write it in a form to distribute it, I have nothing against
it. At the end, the NAMD developers will decide first whether they think
RAMD is worthed to be distributed and second which implementation is
more suitable for distribution.

The only thing I wanted to achieve with my initial email was to point
out that there are 2 options to run RAMD in NAMD: (i) your script and
(ii) my module . I do not claim that one is better or worse. I just say,
there two options and I pointed out the limitations I found by testing
your script. People should feel free to test one, the other, or both.
User feed-back will tell which is better.

And let's not further bore people with this discussion. Lets stay off
list from now on. I would be very happy to discuss with you about RAMD
and different implementations via email, phone or any other means if you
wish so.

Cheers
vlad