Re: use of tiElecLambdaStart (NAMD 2.7b1)

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 14:33:04 CDT

Brittany,

Can you explain why you can't use a perturbation that maintains
neutrality? While not balancing the charges may not lead to problems,
it is in general very bad form as you'll essentially be propogating to
an infinite charge via PME periodicity.

The default value is 0.5. Using a zero value with tiElecLambdaStart and a tiVdwLambdaEnd value of 1 will essentially remove the soft-core potential. Unless there is a specific reason to change tiElecLambdaStart it's probably best to leave it at its default of 0.5 .... is there a reason you want to change it?

C.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733