Re: Amber ff99sb force-field in namd

From: Benjamin Bouvier (benjamin.bouvier_at_ibcp.fr)
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 18:19:23 CDT

Josh,

What NAMD reads is the AMBER topology file -- a subset of the chosen force
field that describes your particular system. It already explicitely
contains all the parameters for your system, so NAMD does not need to know
what forcefield was actually used to generate it (eg, parm99.dat).
The choice of the force field is done during the generation of the
topology file, usually with the Amber tools tleap or xleap. Typically
you'll want to load the ff99 force field, patch it to ff99sb, and load
your structure to generate the topology, which you can then use in NAMD.

Tleap and xleap are available for free in the Amber Tools, and tutorials
about how to use them can be found on the web (eg,
http://ambermd.org/tutorial/)
Hope this helps,

Benjamin