Re: FEP with fixed explicit environment?

From: Sebastian Stolzenberg (s.stolzenberg_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 13:21:12 CDT

Dear Chris, Dear All,

let me rephrase my question:

I have an oligomeric structure and I can argue that FEPs on a single
monomer have no significant conformational influence on the other
monomers. Therefore, fixing the monomer's environment (the other
monomers and the surrounding lipid/solvent molecules) saves me CPU time.

This is the plan for my FEP calculation:
a) step-wise *in*crease positional constraints on the monomer's
environment up to a *large* constraints force constant (by manually
calculating PMFs from the output of MD with the regular
"constraintScaling" commands).
b) NAMD-FEP on the monomer with *fixed* environment
c) gradually *de*crease positional constraints on the monomer's
environment down from a *large* constraints force constant (same way as
in (a) )

my question:
I worry about the transition "large-constraints"->"fixed" environment
for obtaining reasonable free energy difference. Are my concerns
practically justified? If yes, how can I circumvent them to still save
computational time?

Thank you very much,
Sebastian