Re: Avoiding alpha-helix distortions

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 07:52:41 CDT

Praveen,

This is a larger question. If the sulphate is present in the
physiologic system then you should include it. If it is not and is
only present in the crystal then you must determine (comb the
literature) if the sulfate induces a conformational shift of the
protein ensemble that makes it more amenable to aggregation /
crystallization. However, I would suggest that you carefully examine
the literature for other ions that might serve the same role as the
sulfate before immediately assuming the crystal structure exhibits a
different conformation from that seen in solution. NMR structures of
the protein, if available, would be particularly helpful in this
regard.

-Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.