RE: What is an IC table in the .inp files

From: Richard Swenson (swenson_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 14:45:02 CST

Ilya,

The CHARMM documentation website is found at:
http://www.charmm.org/document/Charmm/

Parmfile.doc explains parameter files.
Io.doc contains information about rtf files which are topology files.

As for the difference between the IC table and the definitions in the
parameter file, I'll explain what I think I know, and hope others will feel
free to correct me. The IC table is a matrix that the CHARMM program
creates that is full of bond data such as angles, dihedrals, bond lengths,
etc. This table is used by several commands in various different ways. For
example: if you wanted to build a lipid without any atom position data, and
you had a full IC table, you could use IC Build, and a couple other
commands, to generate coordinates from scratch! The IC table in the
TOPOLOGY file can be used to fill an empty IC table in CHARMM so that you
can build a molecule without any initial coordinates, however, during
dynamics, bond information and constants are taken from the parameter file.
In short, the IC table is used to build structures and manipulate
coordinates, while the parameter file data is used in minimization and
dynamics.

Hope this helps,

Richard