Re: NPT_NPgammaT_or_NPAT_for_membrane_with_CHARMM_forcefield

From: Richard Wood (rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 07:43:09 CST

Your model IS constructed based on experimental data, and during your calculation, it changes. So, you fix it to meet "experimental results", which is what the reviewers want. That's fudging, in my book.

I've also mentioned previously my concern about changing ensembles after equilibration. Perhaps that is why the volume changes on going from NVT to NPT, again to please reviewers. I was just at a CHARMM tutorial where we were told to "never simulate using NVT because experiments are always at 1 atm". I think changing horses in mid-stream leads to problems, but that is my opinion, I guess. I would also guess that the constant P piston is what is causing the membrane to compress.

Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
University of Minnesota
Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry,