Re: Membrane Protein Simulation Problems

From: Ilya Chorny (ichorny_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2007 - 10:13:56 CDT

On 10/13/07, Marcos Sotomayor <sotomayo_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ilya,
>
> Looking at your previous e-mails, I would suggest the following:
>
> - Use the CHARMM31 force-field, which is the same as 22 and 27 for
> proteins but also includes the CMAP correction. The CMAP correction has
> been shown to stabilize RMSD and alpha-helices (see Buck et al, BiophysJ
> Letter, 90:L36-L38 2006). You will need to recreate your psf files.

My understanding from the previous email is that 27 has the CMAP corrections
as well.

- I wouldn't use the "zeromomentum" option when using constraints and/or
> Langevin dynamics, as in those cases the system *should not* conserve
> momentum (it is OK if the center of mass of the protein moves around a
> bit).

Ok

- Do not use the "reinitvels" command every time you restart a simulation,
> as you are reading the velocities from the previous run (in the conf file
> you posted before, you were basically reading the velocities from a
> previous run and then overriding them).

"reinitvels" must not be working because I do not assign a temperature, thus
it would not know what distribution to select from. I have since removed
this option. Not even sure how it got into my script.

- Is your system neutral overall?

Yes.

- Check your periodic boundary conditions, your temperature, the size
> of your PME grid.

Temperature averages out to 310K. The PME grid is 128x128x128.

- If your protein is a bad model, or of poor resolution, or somehow
> distorted by crystallographic artifacts, you may never get a good
> convergence on RMSD. Unfortunately MD will not refold your protein on a 10
> nanosecond time scale :-)

1.4 A resolution.

Thanks,

Ilya