Re: Determining Transition State from an Unfolding Simulation

From: Eduardo Tejera (edutp00_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 17:27:28 CDT

Hi

  I think that both opinions are correct.

  The intermediate molecule is a concept related to the global reaction while the transition state is only related to the elementary step of the kinetic equations system. The transition state is present in the formation of any intermediate molecule in the global chemical reaction.

  The energy diagram showed by Richard correspond to an elementary step however the intermediary concept of Christopher I think that considerer the global reaction (like iodine forms in the BZ reaction).

  Best
  Eduardo

Richard Wood <rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com> escribió: The sentence, "The classical definition of an intermediate is a short-lived, experimentally observable species that is at a local minimum on the potential energy surface (PES) between transition states." is incorrect. An intermediate is a species in a reaction that can be isolated and put in a bottle, as my undergraduate advisor used to tell us. A "transition state" is a species that generally cannot be isolated, such as in the following reaction:

                                            H2S2 + HS- ----> H2S- + H2S

In this reaction, you get a "transition state", which is non-isolable, because there is a bond partially broken and partially formed, and is H3S3-. This is a reaction I have followed computationally using Gaussian to find the structure of the transition state.

If anyone would like to see a picture of this, I can ssend it to them.

Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
University of Minnesota
Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry,