Re: Re: Diffusion of Protein through the membrane

From: Alessandro Cembran (cembran_at_chem.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 09:08:32 CDT

I think his concern is more than just getting the right rmsd. I had a
similar concern in the past, when my goal was trying to get an estimate
of the diffusion coefficient of a protein in a lipid membrane. What I
found is that the entire membrane together with the protein was drifting
in a given direction, so to get rid of this bias I had to subtract the
COM of the entire system (I also found in literature that there are
people that even remove the COM for each layer independently, see Edholm
J.C.P. 2001, 115, 4938 or Lyubartsev J.P.C.B 2006, 110, 14362). In order
to do this one had to write some script to unwrap the coordinates from
the PBC, if wrapall is specified.
Furthermore I noticed a weird behavior, in my first simulations I was
using "ComMotion no", meaning that every time I restarted my simulation
the total velocity of the system was reset to zero. This caused an
artificial oscillation to show up in the drifting of the system, clearly
at the same frequency (a few ns) with which I was restarting my
simulations. Since then I turned it off and I am simulating with
"ComMotion yes" and I am removing the total box drifting COM afterwards.
I'd also like to hear some comments about this.

Alessandro

--
Alessandro Cembran,PhD
Post Doctoral Associate