Re: working with non-protein files

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 09:44:13 CDT

Hi Adam,
rather than modifying one of the charmm topology files, you're probably
better off just making a new one for hexadecane. There's a tutorial for
this procedure posted at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/topology/topology-html/,
which should help you get started. The big trick is going to be figuring
out what parameters to use for your atoms; you've got a choice between
co-opting some from the CHARMM forcefield, making your own from QM
calculations, or finding a good hydrocarbon forcefield from some other
source and translating it into a form that NAMD understands. The
"parameterizing a novel residue" tutorial
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/forcefield-tutorial/forcefield-html/)
helps to give an idea of the issues involved, although in your case I'm
almost certain that you should be able to find good parameters somewhere
in the literature (or, failing that, use appropriate C/H types from CHARMM).

Peter